Tuesday, August 07, 2007

August is...


SMA AWARENESS MONTH

The Disease
Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), the number one genetic killer of children under the age of two, is a group of inherited and often fatal diseases that destroy the nerves controlling voluntary muscle movement, which affects crawling, walking, head and neck control and even swallowing.

• SMA is the number one genetic killer of children under
the age of two.

• 1 in 40 people carry the gene that causes SMA

• SMA effects all ages, races and genders


The Types
SMA Patients are classifi ed into four types based on milestones achieved at onset of SMA. Type I and II are most prevalent.

Type I is the most severe form of SMA. Type I SMA strikes infants
between birth and six months old. Children affected with Type I cannot
sit without support. Fifty percent of Type I babies will die before their
2nd birthday.

Type II affects infants between seven and 18 months old. Type II
patients may be able to sit unaided or even stand with support. They are
at increased risk for complications from respiratory infections.

Type III is the least deadly form of childhood-onset SMA. It strikes
children as early as the age of 18 months, but can surface as late as
adolescence. Type III patients are able to walk, but weakness is
prevalent. Most patients eventually need to use a wheelchair.

Type IV is the adult form of the disease. Symptoms tend to begin
after age 35.


For More Information:

Families of SMA



Marshall's Miles


WHY I SHARE THIS INFO...
I was first acquainted with SMA when I moved to Stamford as a child. One of the students in the sixth grade class where I went to elementary school had it. She had either Type II or Type III. Her oldest sister was also afflicted with the disease. She had one sister that was the middle child that did not have SMA.


Unfortunately, that was not the last time that I heard about it. Almost 5 years ago I heard the term SMA again. This time it was from a very good friend of mine. Laurie called me in FL to tell me that her son, Marshall had been diagnosed with SMA Type I. She was devastated and I was also for her and her husband Mark. Since then Mark and Laurie have had a beautiful daughter, Murphy, and they have started a non-profit organization, Marshall's Miles, in memory of their son to help families that need medical equipment not covered by their insurance companies.


Marshall Daniel "Mo" Potter

08/16/02-12/22/02

James' Special SMA Angel Buddy

1 comment:

Murphy's Law said...

Happy first Birthday to you, James Joseph! Yours is one I shall NEVER ever forget (despite the fact that your gift is still on my kitchen counter! I'm sure that I only have 3 brain cells left. I'm sure Mommy can commisserate though!) Enjoy your day, big boy!