Sunday, March 30, 2008

Catching up

Since I can't sleep, I might as well catch you up on all the happenings in the Murtaugh household during the past month.

Conner saw a pediatric eye doctor at the end of February to determine what is wrong with his left eye. The doctor reported that it wasn't anything neurological, thankfully. He does have Congenital Ptosis(weak eyelid) and astygmatism in both eyes. As of now that isn't affecting his vision but he will have to be rechecked in 2 months to see if there are any changes. We have noticed a significant change since he was born. I believe the lid has gotten stronger. He is such a happy-go-lucky baby. He is always smiling and laughing up a storm. He went for his 4 month pictures at JCP yesterday. Just wait till you see them! My favorite the one of him wearing his hat. He sat up on his own for that one. He was leaning over grabbing his toes like they were his long lost friends. To get him to sit up, "our photographer" had a squeaking monkey that she held in front of him to draw his attention away from the toes and up to look into the camera. Conner is very strong he is already working those tummy muscles trying to pull himself forward to a sitting position. He has a little bit of weight behind him to do it too, about 17 1/2 pounds(wearing size 12months clothing)! This kid is quickly catching up to his big bro. He now has a montage page. The link is to the right. Go there now and see his first slideshow!

On that same day, I went for bloodwork to see if any light could be shed on why I have been feeling so poorly for the last 2 months. When the results came back it showed that I had low iron levels and low B12 levels. I am now taking an iron supplement and B-complex vitamin daily plus a monthly B12 injection. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or not but the same day that I got the injection I also got a migrane. I haven't had one of those since James was about a month old. Since I went for the bloodwork I also started feeling pain in my lower abdomen/pelvic area. I have had an ultrasound of my abdomen examining all the organs there and everything was reported as normal. So I was told to go back to the OB/GYN to see if there might be something in that area that might be the problem. I went this past Friday for that appointment. His answer was that I might have a hernia or cysts/fibroids in my uterus. He wants me to pinpoint exactly when I have the pain and where it occurs over the next week. Once I call in with that information I may need to go for another ultrasound. I will keep you posted.

James has returned to his buddy Logan's house 4 out of 5 days of the week. He is having a great time racing around and playing with him. He is turning into quite the young man, all 26 pounds of him. He has been napping on Logan's parents' bed since he returned and we hope to have him out of his crib here at home real soon(like maybe tomorrow if daddy get the bed out of storage). He goes over to our refrigerator pulls out a yogurt, then opens the silverware draw pulls out a spoon, heads over to the table and waits to be lifted to his chair. He skillfully dips the spoon into the yogurt and licks it off of the spoon. He is making lots of initial sounds for things like:

li for light

ju for juice

ca for car(if I didn't know he was born in FL, I would think he was born in MA)

wah for water

ni ni for night night

he says my dad instead of just dad

chee for cheese

ha for hot

and cool

He was such a good boy Thursday night. I had to go to a PTO meeting at work and I brought Conner and James with me. I was a little nervous having the 2 two them there by myself. James wanted out of the stroller and up onto a chair so he could be like the big people. The 4th grade students sang that evening and James was in his glory. He was clapping and dancing along with the music. He really enjoyed himself and everyone around him got a little extra entertainment!

Jimmy and I went out on a date a weekend or two ago. One of the teachers that I work with came over and stayed with the boys while we went out for dinner. We hope she will do it again sometime. What a treat it was for us to have some time alone with each other and to return to two peacefully sleeping children.

One of the reasons I haven't posted this past month was because I was working on the yearbook for my school. I did not realize what I got myself into when I signed up for that task. Well, all 128 color pages are done and submitted-thank goodness!

My sister sent us a web-cam recently and we have been playing with that. She gets to see how big the kids have gotten and they get to see her too.

1 comment:

Murphy's Law said...

Hi Meg,

Glad Conner's eye doesn't seem to be anything serious at this point. Someone tell that boy to slow down - he's as big as Anders already! I just moved Anders to size 12 months this week and we packed up all the 9 month stuff to send to my cousin in Canada. Boohoo, they grow up so fast!

Sorry you are feeling icky lately. I'm with you there. I had been doing a lot better with headaches, but of course they returned today. I have an MRI on Thursday so they can make sure there is nothing wrong with my brain (I think it's fine!)

I'm glad you have learned from the death of your former student's dad. You are right that too many of us put things off and push our kids aside to do "more important things" like laundry and dishes. Even I am guilty of this from time to time. It's so hard to keep up with the fast pace of this world, but not a day goes by that I don't wish I could give Marshall one more hug, one more kiss, one more "I love you". So Murphy and Anders get extras of those ~ just because!

Thanks for updating. Looking forward to seeing Conner's pictures.

~Lau