James impresses me with the things he is able to do at the tender age of 4. Today, both boys wanted grapes to snack on while Shannen was taking a nap. They retrieved the grapes from the fridge and I got out two bowls for them. Conner counted with me as I placed ten green grapes into his bowl. He was satisfied and took off with his loot. James then says, "I want more grapes than Conner". So, the teacher in me thinks let's see if he truly know the concept of more. I start placing grapes into his bowl and stop at nine. I said, "there you go more grapes than Conner". James looks at me and says, "that's not more than Conner". I replied with, "well, what is more than Conner"? His response, "I'll have elev"...then on second thought says, "thirteen". He proceeds to count on from the nine already placed in his bowl up to thirteen. That in and of itself had me floored. Before he took off with his bounty I asked how many more he had than Conner. He wasn't sure. I said, "Conner had ten grapes and you have thirteen". I then held up one finger and said, "eleven", a second finger and said, "twelve", a third finger and said, "thirteen". Then I asked him, "How many more grapes do you have than Conner?" he replied, "Three!" Such a smarty pants!
Saturday, April 16, 2011
I Want More Than Conner
James impresses me with the things he is able to do at the tender age of 4. Today, both boys wanted grapes to snack on while Shannen was taking a nap. They retrieved the grapes from the fridge and I got out two bowls for them. Conner counted with me as I placed ten green grapes into his bowl. He was satisfied and took off with his loot. James then says, "I want more grapes than Conner". So, the teacher in me thinks let's see if he truly know the concept of more. I start placing grapes into his bowl and stop at nine. I said, "there you go more grapes than Conner". James looks at me and says, "that's not more than Conner". I replied with, "well, what is more than Conner"? His response, "I'll have elev"...then on second thought says, "thirteen". He proceeds to count on from the nine already placed in his bowl up to thirteen. That in and of itself had me floored. Before he took off with his bounty I asked how many more he had than Conner. He wasn't sure. I said, "Conner had ten grapes and you have thirteen". I then held up one finger and said, "eleven", a second finger and said, "twelve", a third finger and said, "thirteen". Then I asked him, "How many more grapes do you have than Conner?" he replied, "Three!" Such a smarty pants!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment