Last night Conner and I headed to HealthPark to the sleep study lab so that they could monitor Conner while he was sleeping. This study was ordered by his neurologist since his adenoids and tonsils appeared enlarged on his MRI that was done in June. The sleep study should let us know if he is getting adequate amounts of oxygen while he is sleeping and to see how many times he wakes during sleep.
I am truly amazed at what he endured! We had an awesome technician with the patience and compassion needed to work with children. You'd be amazed at the number of medical professionals that we have encountered that have less personality than my big toe when it comes to working with children.
We got ready for bed and then Conner sat in a chair and watched TV while the technician began to apply the leads that were necessary for monitoring Conner while he slept. As long as the tech didn't stand between Conner and the TV we were good. He out on all the leads on the top and back of his head while he was awake. After that Conner got into bed and I sat next to him in the chair and waited for him to fall asleep. It took him an hour and a half to fall asleep. I thought for sure that we would be leaving there without completing the study. (They need a certain number of hours of data to properly analyze your sleep cycle.) Then, once Conner was asleep he came back into the room to apply the leads that need to go under and in his nose, and on his face. One that was complete I climbed into the bed on the other side of the room and tried to go to sleep. It was quite strange knowing that someone was watching us sleep (they video tape the sleep study as part of the data collection process). The technician had to come in several times through the night to reapply leads that Conner pulled off or readjust ones that Conner had moved. At one point he woke back up and I thought that he wouldn't go back to sleep. Luckily he did.
The technician came back at what seemed like 4am but was 6:30am to say that the study was complete. He gave us two vouchers for breakfast at the cafeteria and we were on our way. I only stopped to get us some drinks because I wasn't coherent enough to make safe food choices for Conner.
When we got home I asked him if he wanted to go to bed but James and Shannen were both awake so he stayed up. Thank goodness Grandma Sugie was lined up to be here so I could get some sleep. I think I got up around noon.
We will get the results from the study when we go to the neurologist in 2 weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment