This day every year never escapes me. Two very special people passed away on this day, ten years apart. Back in 1992 when I was a senior in high school my paternal grandmother passed away on this day after a brief stay with us. One of the last things that she enjoyed was watching my sister and I decorate the Christmas tree with our friends. Every year since then this day and the day that I decorate my Christmas tree bring back memories of her.
The other special person that passed away on this day was just a tiny little fellow, only 4 months and 6 days old. In 2002, my good friend Laurie and her husband Mark were left behind when a disease known as Spinal Muscular Atrophy took their first born child. Marshall was his name and he has been in my heart since I had the opportunity to meet him. Marhsall never seems to leave my thoughts. Throughout the year, there are many experiences and days that bring him to my mind. My first born son, James was born on the exact day that Marshall was born on, only four years after him. Every August 16, we celebrate James' birthday and Marshall's too.
The one and only time that I was able to meet Marshall was Veteran's Day Weekend 2002. I flew from FL to MA to visit with the Potter Family that weekend and it was my first time ever snuggling with a baby during the night time hours. I wanted to take in as much of him as I could during my brief visit and I am so thankful that Laurie and Mark allowed me to have such a memorable bonding experience with him. Since that weekend, I have relived that experience over and over again with my own children and each and every time it has been bittersweet for me. I am saddened just thinking that this time is drawing to a close. Shannen is our last baby and she is growing so fast that I will not have these "baby snuggling moments" for too much longer. I still have these snuggle times with James and Conner but it just isn't the same as snuggle time with an infant. Anyone that has experienced it knows what I am talking about.
Other things that remind me of Marshall are too countless to be listed.
Learn more about this beautiful little boy and the disease that took him away much too early, visit http://www.marshallsmiles.com/.
No comments:
Post a Comment