Tuesday, October 27, 2009

23 Months Old

Almost TWO! Conner is one month away from this milestone and he is trying to communicate more and more with us every day.
He has a hectic schedule for such a young kid. Mondays he attends music class, Tuesday or Thursday Lynne comes to work with us and gives us new communication strategies to try out, Wednesdays and Fridays are speech therapy.(Wednesday nights I have been attending a class called It Takes Two to Talk. It is offered free of charge to parents by the Lee County School District.)
We have gone from screaming and tantruming to Conner immitating gross motor actions in play scenarios and gradually mimicking sounds during play as well. Concepts that we are working on are open/close, up/down, in/out, and on/off. We also have been using some basic signs with him such as help, eat, drink, more, please, thank you, play, mommy, daddy, baby, milk, cookie, and water. The one that is the most motivating is cookie. He does not use these signs consistently yet but I am still trying.
Things that Conner has done over the last month since we started all of his therapy that keep me going:
  • While standing at the fridge he made an ah sound for open and then made the eat sign. He really wanted a drink but he was communicating none the less.
  • One night when he was eating dinner he signed thank you to me after I helped him with something.
  • Conner mimmicked blowing hot pasta when James and I were doing it at lunch one day.
  • He said "uhh" for up to be lifted into his chair at the dining room table.
  • He picked up a piece of sandwich and put it toward my mouth and said "eee" for eat.
  • Signed drink to Jimmy at the fridge. Jimmy asked him if he wanted milk he shook his head no. then he pointed to a bottle of wine and Jimmy shook his head no.
  • Says "eesse" for cheese when I am taking his picture.
  • Says "naaat" for stop.
  • Says "ha" for hi.
  • Says "da" for jump.
  • Says "whoa".
  • Says "na' for no.
  • Says "ya" for yes.
  • Says "adah" for bye and waves.
  • Says "too-too" for choo-choo and moves his arm up and down like he is pulling a train whistle.
  • Says "ah na" for Uh Oh and puts his hands on his cheeks.
  • Says "tee" for cookie or iced tea.
  • He now puckers his lips but still doesn't give kisses.
  • He does make a kissing sound and loves to air kiss Shannen.
  • Gets excited to talk to people on the phone especially Auntie Missy says "ha".
  • Plays silent "mommy says".
Looking at this long list gives me hope for the future since this has all happened in just one month!

2 comments:

Olivia Lefko said...

I'm so excited for Conner! He has made so much progress :)

Jenny G said...

This list is awesome. I love reading how much progress he is making. Well, actually I love seeing it more. He really has started to pick up a lot. Last playdate he was really engaging with me..I loved that.

BTW, I forget..what do other parents and kids do during their days? I only know of therapies and the car rides between them. Kidding...sorta. So glad for the playdates to balance work/therapy and fun :)