Friday, August 29, 2008

Medic Alert

Conner went to his first allergist appointment this past Tuesday. It is the same allergist that Jimmy goes to. I wanted to follow up since his blood work turned up the cat and egg white allergies. He was the most cooperative patient. They did skin testing on him using his back since that was the biggest area available. They used Jimmy's arms when he had his testing two weeks earlier. Conner was retested for eggs and cats and in those panels he also showed a positive allergic reaction to dogs and peanuts. Both of those were supposedly in the blood test panels but they didn't show up. The allregy to egg whites and peanuts is severe enough that he will need to have an epi-pen with him at all times. The Dr. said that he would test him again in a year to see if the allergies are still that severe or if they have diminished. While we were there he also checked his nose, ears and throat. Conner has had a cough that we haven't been able to get rid of. His ears had fluid but not infected and his nose was clear. His throat did have some mucus in the back of it. He wants us to continue with the inhaler that the pediatrician's office put him on till this Tuesday when he will recheck him. I am not sure if he will do 2 more panels or not but I would assume that he will. I will update after the appointment.

3 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

Gosh Meg, I had no idea you had such an allergic child! He'd get along great in my family!

Hopefully he will outgrow them with time.

Hearing about the epi pen made me want to tell you this story. Our little friend Gage is 6 years old. The other day he got stung by a bee for the very first time ever. Knowing that there is a bee allergy in his family but not knowing for sure if he was allergic or not, his mom gave him benadryl immediately. Within 10 minutes it wasn't even working and his whole face swelled up and he couldn't breathe well. They called 911 and the paramedics transported him to the hospital giving him benadryl (and maybe an epi pen, not sure). They told his mom at the hospital that the initial dose of benadryl she gave him probably saved his life. He now carries an epi pen everywhere too.

Knowing Mark is allergic will make me give my own kids benadryl immediately after they get stung now too. Might be something you'd want to ask about, or have him tested for next time you visit the allergist, especially if there is history of it in the family.

How's being a stay home mommy treating you?

Murphy's Law said...

I forgot to say that Conner's eye looks much better in this picture. Is it getting stronger now?

Megan Murtaugh said...

First off, let me say that I am happy that Gage is all right. What a smart mommy he has! The first protocal for Conner is to take benadryl.

Ok, I am definitely going to ask for testing on bees. I have only been stung once and my hand blew up but I had taken benadryl right away. I think my sister also swells too. I am probably going to bring James for testing too. I know for sure that James has an allergy to mosquitos. He swells terrible when he gets bit. That I know he gets from Jimmy.

As for Conner's eye. It has gotten stronger all on it's own. We go at the end of September to the eye DR. for a check-up. So far the lid hasn't affected his vision at all. We are so thankful for having two healthy children despite the allergies.